[Az-Geocaching] Drought and forests

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:36:53 -0700 (MST)

(raising hand)
I believe I can answer that, at least for the Prescott NF.
The Forest Service does not do this (full closure) lightly. It is a
VERY serious decision, and when this very question came up in our
meeting with the FS last month (why not give more notice) the answer
was because CLOSURE is the last option, they try everything else
first, (levels of restriction, which by the way are more ignored than
you would imagine) and it depends alot on the current weather which is
not known (as you know) until a few days (or even 48 hrs) before hand.
Major holiday weekends are a specific threat. The FS has to balance
the inconvenience and complaints of the public against the
risks/costs/loss/etc. Our Ranger who we talked with says that his boss
really agonizes over the decision (which is why we are open,,,,GRRRR)
The monsoon is late this year. Had is rained, or the humidity/dew
point at least gone up prior to the actual start, perhaps they may not
have closed it (except with the fire in the Coronado, there may be
other factors we are not aware of).
Anyway, Scott, I share your disappointment with the lessening of
recreational activities available. By all means, if you have family
living someplace where there are recreational activities, consider
moving. (but watch out for....see my other list! :-)
Trisha
Prescott