[Az-Geocaching] New GPS connection

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:05:30 -0800

I have actually been looking into that for quite some time now. I want to be
able to connect my Garmin GPS to my Palm M130 to allow for tracking and
mapping on my Palm full color screen. I found a source for a data cable to
connect my GPS to my Palm. I also found a few sources for mapping software.
However, non of the mapping software seems to satisfy me. I need topo maps
and all I am finding are street maps. But, there are options out there.

I have ordered the cable. The cable has a connection for a Garmin Etrex
Legend to the Palm M130 and has a split to a cigerrette lighter for power to
the GPS. I will be able to track my progress on the full color Palm screen
instead of the very small etrex screen. I intend primarily to use this setup
for hot air balloon competitions. But, will try it for geocaching of course
too! :) I have located a source for maps that have aviation sectional charts
that I can put into my Palm to navigate on. Great for ballooning. But, I
prefer topo maps and I am still looking for a topo map software for the Palm
OS. Has anyone found any?

There isnt really much out there that is available to use a GPS in combo
with a PDA. But, it is coming around. There are a couple of GPS/Palm devices
made. But I don't like them at all. However, Garmin has their own PDA/GPS
combo unit coming out soon. Unfortunately, I already have a PDA and a GPS!
Hopefully, Garmin will make their mapsource software Palm compatible as
well. That would be most ideal. I did find a pretty nice mapping software
for the Pocket PC (windows type). But, it is not compatible with the Palm
OS.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind