[Az-Geocaching] Geocaching and National Security

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:33:27 -0700

HighwayHavoc wrote:

>My compadres and I have also spoken of the concern
>over some ne'er-do-well fiddling with a cache in a
>nasty way. We're military (or ex-military), so this
>subject comes naturally to us. However, I haven't been
>so concerned yet that I'm willing to stop playing the
>game - of course, that could be a concern, too...

I've said for a long time that it would only take one psycho to put a
bomb or something really nasty (hydrofloic acid?) in a cache to kill the
whole sport, but I have a hard time thinking that a terrorist would be
stupid enough to put a private message into a public cache.  It seems
more likely that they would have own network of terror caches setup so
they they don't have to worry about someone stumbleing across their
stash accidentally, and finding their coppies of notes, and book
entitles "How to grow anthrax using comming household items.", or "So,
you wanna fly and don't need to land"

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek

"When I found the "cow", I found someone had left food in it, so I took
that.  I also sharpened the pencil, and made sure that I put the "cow"
back where I found and and completely covered it with rocks"