[Az-Geocaching] Oregon bureaucrats propose using GPS to track each driver's mileage

mike and gale jett listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 22:07:54 +0000

<P><BR><BR></P>Who said we would get to vote on this? Have you seen our state legislators in action? Politicians pretty much do what they want and hope no one notices.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Brent Milner" <MILNER@UNICON.NET>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <LISTSERV@AZGEOCACHING.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Oregon bureaucrats propose using GPS to track each driver's mileage
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:22:51 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;This will never pass, for the very violations of rights that you mentioned.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;There's no way anyone will vote for "homing beacons" to be placed on their
<DIV></DIV>&gt;cars. That's just ridiculous.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;-FroBro Q-Tip
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;-----Original Message-----
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ken@highpointer.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 2:07 PM
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Oregon bureaucrats propose using GPS to track each
<DIV></DIV>&gt;driver's mileage
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I heard this on Rush Limbaugh's morning update on KFYI. Rush described a
<DIV></DIV>&gt;plan being considered in Oregon where the state's Department of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Transportation would attach a GPS device to each car and track the mileage
<DIV></DIV>&gt;driven by each motorist. The state officials would use the mileage recorded
<DIV></DIV>&gt;from each driver to tax that driver accordingly to pay for road repairs.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I was incredulous to believe that such an Orwellian plan could be seriously
<DIV></DIV>&gt;considered anywhere in the USA. Adopting such a proposal would be a clear
<DIV></DIV>&gt;violation of our civil liberties and constitutional rights. Therefore, I
<DIV></DIV>&gt;had to find out for myself whether it is true that such a plan is being
<DIV></DIV>&gt;considered. The results of my research show that this is actually a
<DIV></DIV>&gt;proposal by an Oregon State task force. Here are some articles of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;commentary about this nutty scheme:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/1/2/101712.shtml
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.cnsnews.com/Politics/archive/200301/POL20030102a.html
<DIV></DIV>&gt;http://www.monokromatik.com/veethree/?viewNewsItem=1&amp;newsitemid=627
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;If, God forbid, this proposal is adopted, the government will be able to
<DIV></DIV>&gt;know wherever we are in our vehicles at any time, Big Brother-style.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;As GPS users and motorists (and, I hope, as Americans who cherish their
<DIV></DIV>&gt;freedoms and liberties), what do you think about this?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It is intended for the named recipient(s) only.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or
<DIV></DIV>&gt;the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any one or make
<DIV></DIV>&gt;copies.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content **