[Az-Geocaching] removing a lost log?

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:10:11 -0800

Howdy,

I will post a no find log anytime I cant find a cache. However, I delete my
no find logs once I find it. However, I will make mention in my find log
that I had posted a no find log on a given date and also will make mention
why I couldnt find it.

I feel that a no find log is very important for future seekers of a
particular cache. If there are several no find logs, maybe it is gone. But,
if nobody posts a no find log.. how is the next cacher to know!?

I also feel the information posted in a no find log is always important for
the history of the cache, even if it is still in existance.

However, I use my geocaching stats on azgeocaching.com (the only stats I
look at) as numbers/stats/data and not so much as a diary of my geocaching
'career' (had to use that word!). These numbers basically represent to me
how many outstanding no find caches I have out there to get, etc.

I use my posts on each log as my diary (must be why they are usually similar
in size to a novel!). So, since I do want to see the history of my
experiences with that cache (and remember those moments), I note in my found
log that I posted a no find log on a given date and the reason why I could
not find it. This way, I can look back on that cache and remember my
experiences with it. For those cachers that read all the logs, they will
still read about my no find experiences.

That's how I do it. If you look at Team RTW's geocaching web site, you can
see my current progress as I list the caches I currently havent been able to
find.

------>
On a similar note: I also feel it is very important to make every effort
possible to post your find logs/no find logs as soon as is possible. I
always log my caches as soon as I get home from caching (or that night; I
just want them to show up in my stats the next day). I have only strayed
from this a couple of times as I grabbed a cache on my way out of state or
something like that and had no access to internet until I got home. I have
seen some recent examples of teams find numbers going up but the last day
they cached did not change. The only way that can be is if someone was
posting a cache find several days later or even a week or more later from a
previous date before. It is not always possible to log a find right when you
get home from caching, but I feel it should be done as soon as it is
convenient for you to do so. This way, if that log happened to be a no find
log or a find log with some valuable information.. future cachers (that go
there before you log it) will have the opportunity to read your log.
Particularly if it is a no find log.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind
http://www.safwp.bravepages.com/geocaching.html