[Az-Geocaching] Re: 1st Annual Halloween Radioactive

Scott Sparks listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:14:50 -0700

I am opposed to the "fee for food" idea. I agree the proposed amount is
very minimal but, when you've got 5 or 6 members on your team, it adds
up.  In principle, I'm opposed to any cache (or event cache) that
requires a fee.  It tends to exclude those who are on  fixed or limited
entertainment budgets. And what about people that just want to cache and
visit and aren't interested in eating?  Do they have to pay? And if they
don't, are they allowed to find the cache? And if they are FTF, do they
have a right to the surplus monies?  I would much rather people just
bring what food they can.  Maybe you could post a note to (or put in the
description of)  the cache page what food is needed and how much.
 People planning on attending can pick something from the list and post
a note saying they'll bring it.

I'm also uneasy with the idea of putting the excess funds in the cache
for the FTF.  When money (or a prize) is involved, people tend to get
very competitive.  Plus, FTF generally goes to whoever shows up first
and it will become, quite simply, a race to the cache.  Not unlike the
recent Magellan cache hunt which was a complete farce, IMHO.  I'd rather
see the excess funds, if there are any, given away in a random drawing.
At least then everyone would have an equal shot at it.

just my $.02.

-- Sprocket