[Az-Geocaching] No gas to geocache!

Gale Draper listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:20:01 -0700 (PDT)

--0-708532657-1061328001=:18126

I needed gas so last night at 11 pm, I waited half an hour in line and paid $1.99 per gallon. Everyone was well behaved. I don't know what it is like today, but yesterday afternoon only 1 in 12 gas stations in my area had gas. Last night only 1 in 10 had gas.
The news showed one independent on the west side charging $4.97 per gallon before he closed down due to personal safety concerns. (Sheesh, you think?)

We have an unofficial contest between Mike and I to see who can find the geocache or the coordinates in tv or films that we watch. Virtual geocaching seems to be all we can do for now (and not because of gas). Looking forward to the event cache this weekend. I'll have 3 TBs with me.

Jim Scotti <jscotti@pirlserver.lpl.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

Well, while our gas prices down here in Tucson are not approaching $4 a
gallon like I saw on the news last night about Phoenix, they are
running
close to $1.70, up from close to $1.50 before the gas pipeline break.
Most
of that jump happened within about 2 or 3 days just after the pipeline
break
story broke - coincidence?  The shortage may be having a small affect
here in
Tucson since apparently, our gas terminals are being saturated by
tankers
from the Phoenix area - tankers distributing gas locally are competing
with
those transporting it up to Phoenix and so there is some difficulty
meeting
the demand.  I have not seen any stations that did not have gas,
however.

I also heard a guest on one of the morning radio shows while driving in
work talking about the Phoenix situation.  Supposedly, 70% of the gas
delivered in Phoenix comes from California, and the remainder comes
through
Tucson via the pipeline, presumably.  So, that leads to the question of
why
there appears to be such a shortage - there should be at least 70% of
the
supply intact with considerable of the remaining 30% being supplied via
tanker instead of pipeline from Tucson.  Something smells fishy around
here....  I've heard stories on this listserve about passing 4 or 5
closed
stations before finding one with a long line - are you having the same
trouble adding this equation up as I am?

And the required geocaching part of this otherwise off-topic post: It's
not
the gas situation that has kept me from going geocaching, just too many
other
things going on around here!  Did anyone see the repeat of Enterprise
last
week?  Some of the crew were descending into a cave on an alien planet
chasing some alien scientists that needed to be found and removed from
the
planet before the bad guys of the week closed the planet to them and
during
the descent, one of the crew finds a little tupperware-like container
with
some rock samples in it.  My son thought I was nuts (as usual) as I
exclaimed
"Hey, a geocache!"

--0-708532657-1061328001=:18126

<DIV>I needed gas so last night at 11 pm, I waited half an hour in line and paid $1.99 per gallon. Everyone was well behaved. I don't know what it is like today, but yesterday afternoon only 1 in 12 gas stations in my area had gas. Last night only 1 in 10 had gas.</DIV>
<DIV>The news showed one independent on the west side charging $4.97 per gallon before he closed down due to personal safety concerns. (Sheesh, you think?)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We have an unofficial contest between Mike and I to see who can find the geocache or the coordinates&nbsp;in tv or films that we watch. Virtual geocaching seems to be all we can do for now (and not because of gas). Looking forward to the event cache this weekend. I'll have 3 TBs with me.<BR><BR><B><I>Jim Scotti &lt;jscotti@pirlserver.lpl.Arizona.EDU&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Well, while our gas prices down here in Tucson are not approaching $4 a<BR>gallon like I saw on the news last night about Phoenix, they are <BR>running<BR>close to $1.70, up from close to $1.50 before the gas pipeline break.&nbsp; <BR>Most<BR>of that jump happened within about 2 or 3 days just after the pipeline <BR>break<BR>story broke - coincidence?&nbsp; The shortage may be having a small affect <BR>here in<BR>Tucson since apparently, our gas terminals are being saturated by <BR>tankers<BR>from the Phoenix area - tankers distributing gas locally are competing <BR>with<BR>those transporting it up to Phoenix and so there is some difficulty <BR>meeting<BR>the demand.&nbsp; I have not seen any stations that did not have gas, <BR>however.<BR><BR>I also heard a guest on one of the morning radio shows while driving in <BR>to<BR>work talking about the Phoenix situation.&nbsp; Supposedly, 70% of the gas<BR>delivered in Phoenix comes from California, and the remainder comes
 <BR>through<BR>Tucson via the pipeline, presumably.&nbsp; So, that leads to the question of <BR>why<BR>there appears to be such a shortage - there should be at least 70% of <BR>the<BR>supply intact with considerable of the remaining 30% being supplied via<BR>tanker instead of pipeline from Tucson.&nbsp; Something smells fishy around<BR>here....&nbsp; I've heard stories on this listserve about passing 4 or 5 <BR>closed<BR>stations before finding one with a long line - are you having the same<BR>trouble adding this equation up as I am?<BR><BR>And the required geocaching part of this otherwise off-topic post: It's <BR>not<BR>the gas situation that has kept me from going geocaching, just too many <BR>other<BR>things going on around here!&nbsp; Did anyone see the repeat of Enterprise <BR>last<BR>week?&nbsp; Some of the crew were descending into a cave on an alien planet<BR>chasing some alien scientists that needed to be found and removed from <BR>the<BR>planet before the bad guys of the
 week closed the planet to them and <BR>during<BR>the descent, one of the crew finds a little tupperware-like container <BR>with<BR>some rock samples in it.&nbsp; My son thought I was nuts (as usual) as I <BR>exclaimed<BR>"Hey, a geocache!"<BR><BR></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-708532657-1061328001=:18126--