[Az-Geocaching] Magellan Cache Hunt

Marc listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 09 Aug 2003 19:59:23 -0700

Not to blow the wind out of the sails, but Magellan is getting lots out
of this. They have press all over the US and abroad. I'm sure the
marketing gurus os Magellan would not host anything with this type of
magnitude unless they felt they got alot out of it. What their motives
are and what the goal is, we may not ever know. In any case, they have
promoted this sport and branded their name. Will someone go out and
purchase a Magellan because of it today? That is a good question.
However, they may be looking for future business and that I think they
have accomplished if nothing else. Most will support companies in the
future that are dedicated to their customers. New customers will follow.

As far as not bringing anyone in to the sport with this, I again have to
disagree. We may have found it without the coordinates, assuming that it
was really there when we looked over the area. Even at that, with the
last hint, we would have found it hands down. No GPS required! We were
with two new teams. One of which has only cached twice before this. The
THREE of us hunted. The THREE of us found. I'm sure that the two new
teams are not only hooked, but will add much to our local caching.

I don't think it is fair to slam those we don't know and what their
motives are. Who is to say what someone gets out of it except for that
one. I think most would agree that there are far too many reasons out
there to say why anyone of us cache or why we cache the way we do. As
for this type of cache, it is what we like and thrive on.  There area a
lot of caches in Arizona, and a large number in areas that you could
ride your bike to to get the joy out of two hobbies (aka sports) at
one.  I wouldnt give up on geocaching just because your opinion of how
this cache was done isn't sitting well with you.  Get on the Internet,
and starting looking for one that intrigues you.   The great thing about
this 'hobby' is that there's enough variety in caching, you can find the
ones you like.

These are my opinions and not necessarily the expressed opinions of
anyone else.