[Az-Geocaching] Magellan Cache Hunt Pool

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:18:50 -0700

Y'know, I'd have put money on myself too, because I wanted it that bad.  A
bad night sleep and total exhaustion put me in a place where unless it was
in my front yard, I wouldn't have made FTF (min. drive approx. 35 miles of
totally indirect routes).

At any rate, congratulations to Tamo and 'clan' for their FTF.  They pored
over the area(s) for several days to locate it, while I pored over
maps/satellite imagery to try and pinpoint a location, settling on this very
area the night before the coords were released.  I chose to go home right
after work and get up early to make my rounds, going deeper into the Hills
to try and locate some hint of where it might be.  I made a drive up into
McDowell Mtn Regional Park, deciding quickly that I didn't believe it was
there, because it just seemed too far away, and the fee paid didn't seem to
fit into what I believed were Magellan's intentions.  Besides, I had been
corresponding with the person responsible for this cache yesterday via
e-mail, and while she gave me nibbles (enough to help decide it wasn't there
and that the coords would be released Friday), she gave me nothing concrete
that would have violated policy or any NDA.  The sheer fact that the coords
were released as late in the day as they were may have been in part to my
mentioning that mid-afternoon would have been near the hottest time of day,
and her promise to 'keep that in mind'.

After Team 360 ran around the area near Quartz Trail and surmised the cache
was NOT there, the 128st/Via Linda was my second guess, which I didn't
explore for reasons unknown.  The fact that Tamo and 'clan' walked within
10' of the area earlier makes me think that Magellan placed the cache just
about the time the coords were released (to prevent FTF prior to
coordinates, thereby increasing the competition).  It would be great if
companies like Magellan and Garmin would collaborate with local geocachers
in their home cache areas, to put on contest caches at random.  A difficult
puzzle cache, or some spin-off from an event cache where FTF prize would be
some cool schwag or perhaps a new unit, depending on the complexity of the
cache puzzle itself.

Great meeting everyone (some again), and I hope to see all of you at the
Breakfast Cache #3 in a few weeks.

Brian
Team A.I.