[Az-Geocaching] Revisiting caches over and over to get a TB?

GREGG OBUCH listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:59:27 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2114731765-1059793167=:27741

Here's my nickels worth.  Travel bugs are meant to travel, so if a cacher wants to go back to the same cache over and over just to get a TB and then move it to help meet it's goal I don't have a problem with that activity.  I believe, in the case of a cache specifically for travel bugs, a cacher should swap TB for TB.  Personally we have always taken / left only one TB per cache.  As others have stated putting an entry in the logbook and a note on the cache page is the best thing.  This helps both the TB owner and the cache owner.

We treat finding a TB as a bonus, not the reason for going to a specific cache.  The Wyle Operatives being an exception.  (Although one of these days we will have to track down Wily's AZ Cipher Key TB, since we cracked the code without it.)  And the only time we have gone back to a cache for a TB is in the case of the Wyle Operatives.  When we've had a TB and been unable to cache for a while, we will put that TB in one of our caches just to keep it moving.  We will also do this when we've picked up a TB and brought it back to Tucson and want to keep it moving.

Gregg of MO & GO

IFISHAZ@aol.com wrote:
Hi all IFISHAZ here,
Ok, well I feel this is a subject that needs some public debate (if it has had debate before, sorry it was before I became a geocacher). What is your (other cachers) feelings on geocachers returning to caches (sometimes very repeatedly) they have found previously just to get a Travel Bug? I personally think it is wrong, once you have found a cache there is no fun / adventure / difficulty, to keep going back to it. Also by returning to a cache you know where it is to get a TB, you cut chances of a new visitor to that cache having a legitimate find of a TB. Also it cuts down potential new visitors to a cache who may have went looking for a bug, but it is gone because a cacher who has been there before takes it. I think that finding geocaches should be the main goal and if you get a TB when you find a cache, cool bonus. Not find geocaches so you can locate them and rush straight to them when a TB has been placed and grab it.
Just my opinion, IFISHAZ.

--0-2114731765-1059793167=:27741

<DIV>Here's my nickels worth.&nbsp; Travel bugs are meant to travel, so if a cacher wants to go back to the same cache over and over just to get a TB <STRONG><FONT color=#ff0000>and</FONT></STRONG> then move it to help&nbsp;meet it's goal I don't have a problem with that activity.&nbsp;&nbsp;I believe, in the case of a cache&nbsp;specifically for travel bugs, a cacher should&nbsp;swap TB for TB.&nbsp; Personally we have always taken / left only one TB per cache.&nbsp; As others have stated putting an entry in the logbook and a note on the cache page is the best thing.&nbsp; This helps both the TB owner and the cache owner.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We treat finding a TB as a bonus, not the reason for going to a specific cache.&nbsp; The Wyle Operatives being an exception.&nbsp; (Although one of these days we will have to track down&nbsp;Wily's AZ Cipher Key&nbsp;TB, since we cracked the code without it.)&nbsp; And the only time we have gone back to a cache for a TB is in the case of the Wyle Operatives.&nbsp; When we've had a TB and been unable to cache for a while, we will put that TB in one of our caches just to keep it moving.&nbsp; We&nbsp;will also do this when we've picked up a TB and brought it back to Tucson and want to keep it moving.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Gregg of MO &amp; GO&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><B><I>IFISHAZ@aol.com</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; WIDTH: 100%"><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF">Hi all IFISHAZ here,<BR>Ok, well I feel this is a subject that needs some public debate (if it has had debate before, sorry it was before I became a geocacher). What is your (other cachers) feelings on geocachers returning to caches (sometimes very repeatedly) they have found previously just to get a Travel Bug? I personally think it is wrong, once you have found a cache there is no fun / adventure / difficulty, to keep going back to it. Also by returning to a cache you know where it is to get a TB, you cut chances of a new visitor to that cache having a legitimate find of a TB. Also it cuts down potential new visitors to a cache who may have went looking for a bug, but it is gone because a cacher who has been there before takes it. I think that finding geocaches should be the main goal and if you get a TB
 when you find a cache, cool bonus. Not find geocaches so you can locate them and rush straight to them when a TB has been placed and grab it.<BR>Just my opinion, IFISHAZ.</FONT> </BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></FONT>
--0-2114731765-1059793167=:27741--