[Az-Geocaching] Is it OK to put travel bugs in caches that are visited infrequently or that are seasonally inaccessible?

WOLFB8 listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:37:03 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C27E97.DD107540

not totally true I had a bug that page stated it was to stay in easy =
caches that ended up on some peak....it was found and never replaced =
again......
We will be known by the tracks we leave behind
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ken@highpointer.com=20
  To: listserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 1:19 PM
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Is it OK to put travel bugs in caches that =
are visited infrequently or that are seasonally inaccessible?

  Earlier in this forum, we discussed the hazards of putting a travel =
bug in a cache that is very easy to find, and thus the cache may become =
lost with the travel bug in it, resulting in permanent loss of the =
travel bug.  However, what about putting travel bugs in caches that are =
difficult to get to and thus are found very infrequently?  I have moved =
some of the travel bugs that I have found in Arizona to caches in Utah, =
and right now at least two of the travel bugs are located in difficult =
caches at high elevations near Utah county high points.=20

  Since winter, with cold weather and heavy snow, has now descended upon =
high elevations of the western USA, these travel bugs will likely remain =
snowbound and frozen in place until next summer.  Therefore, these =
travel bugs, while not likely to be lost, are nonetheless not going to =
be going anywhere for a while.

  Travel bugs placed in high-elevation caches near the end of summer or =
in early fall will likely be stranded in the cache until the snow melts =
during the spring or summer of the following year.  The two travel bugs =
that I have found that I placed in high-elevation Utah caches, and are =
still in those same caches, are The Pasadena Traveling Foot - (Hippy =
Monte Python) and Dangerous Dale 4.

  I enjoy visiting all caches, especially harder ones that many =
geocachers choose not to visit, but is it a good idea to put a travel =
bug in such caches?

  Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C27E97.DD107540

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>not totally true I had a bug that page =
stated it=20
was to stay in easy caches that ended up on some peak....it was found =
and never=20
replaced again......</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>We will be known by the tracks we leave behind</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dken@highpointer.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:ken@highpointer.com">ken@highpointer.com</A> </DIV>
title=3Dlistserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:listserv@azgeocaching.com">listserv@azgeocaching.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, October 28, 2002 =
1:19=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Is it =
OK to put=20
  travel bugs in caches that are visited infrequently or that are =
seasonally=20
  inaccessible?</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>Earlier in this forum, we discussed the hazards of putting a travel =
bug in=20
  a cache that is very easy to find, and thus the cache may become lost =
with the=20
  travel bug in it, resulting in permanent loss of the travel bug.&nbsp; =

  However, what about putting travel bugs in caches that are difficult =
to get to=20
  and thus are found very infrequently?&nbsp; I have moved some of the =
travel=20
  bugs that I have found in Arizona to caches in Utah, and right now at =
least=20
  two&nbsp;of the travel bugs are located in difficult caches at high =
elevations=20
  near Utah county high points.=20
  <P>Since winter, with cold weather and heavy snow, has now descended =
upon high=20
  elevations of the western USA, these travel bugs will likely remain =
snowbound=20
  and frozen in place until next summer.&nbsp; Therefore, these travel =
bugs,=20
  while not likely to be lost, are nonetheless not going to be going =
anywhere=20
  for a while.</P>
  <P>Travel bugs placed in high-elevation caches near the end of summer =
or in=20
  early fall will likely be stranded in the cache until the snow melts =
during=20
  the spring or summer of the following year.&nbsp; The two travel bugs =
that I=20
  have found that I placed in high-elevation Utah caches, and are still =
in those=20
  same caches,&nbsp;are <FONT face=3DVerdana><A=20
  href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=3D6397"=20
  target=3D_blank><STRONG>The Pasadena Traveling Foot - (Hippy Monte=20
  Python)</STRONG></A><STRONG>&nbsp;</STRONG>and <STRONG><A=20
  href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=3D6621"=20
  target=3D_blank>Dangerous Dale 4</A></STRONG>.</FONT></P>
  <P>I enjoy visiting all caches, especially harder ones that many =
geocachers=20
  choose not to visit, but is it a good idea to put a travel bug in such =

  caches?</P>
  <P>Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)</P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C27E97.DD107540--