[Az-Geocaching] Geocache etiquette

Ken listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:28:43 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C1D686.63F18960

    Just a thought that I would like to post on some caches that I have =
run across. I have done several multi stage caches where the cache =
owners have written the coordinates for the next leg on items of =
public/private property. In my opinion this activity clearly fits the =
definition of criminal damage as described under Arizona's Revised =
Statutes A.R.S. 13-1602.

    I would like to make a suggestion to correct this trend and to =
possibly save fellow Geocachers from having to face possible criminal =
charges. If the coordinates for a multi stage cache must be listed on =
public/private property write it on a piece of tape and then place it on =
the object. This way if the property owner discovers the markings there =
is no permanent damage to the object and can be simply removed by =
peeling the tape off. Another alternative would be to use an inexpensive =
dyno-tape machine to imprint the coordinates on the tape and then post =
it to the object.

    I'm not trying to preach here but would like to keep my =
hobbie/addiction form getting a bad reputation. I know that if I =
discovered that someone had been writing on my property I would not be =
real happy :( =20

    As a final warning while out placing caches this weekend our family =
spotted 3 snakes (and a mountain lion)  so be careful where you are =
putting your hands.

    Thanks for letting me air my concerns and this is not intended as an =
attack on anyone. I realize that the cache owners may not have realized =
that what they were doing may bring trouble to them and the geocaching =
community.

Ken=20

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C1D686.63F18960

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Just a thought that =
I would like=20
to post on some caches that I have run across. I have done several=20
multi&nbsp;stage caches where the cache owners have written the =
coordinates for=20
the next leg on items of public/private property. In my opinion this =
activity=20
clearly fits the definition of criminal damage as described under =
Arizona's=20
Revised Statutes A.R.S. 13-1602.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would like to make =
a=20
suggestion to correct this trend and to possibly save fellow Geocachers =
from=20
having to face possible criminal charges. If&nbsp;the coordinates for a =
multi=20
stage cache must be listed on public/private property write it on a =
piece of=20
tape and then place it on the object. This way if the property owner =
discovers=20
the markings there is no permanent damage to the object and can be =
simply=20
removed by peeling the tape off. Another alternative would be to =
use&nbsp;an=20
inexpensive dyno-tape machine&nbsp;to imprint the coordinates on the =
tape and=20
then post it to the object.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not trying to =
preach here=20
but would like to keep&nbsp;my hobbie/addiction form getting a bad =
reputation. I=20
know that if&nbsp;I discovered that someone had been writing on my =
property I=20
would not be real happy :(&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As a final warning =
while out=20
placing caches this weekend our family spotted 3 snakes (and a mountain=20
lion)&nbsp; so be careful where you are putting your hands.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for letting =
me air my=20
concerns and this is not intended as an attack on anyone. I realize that =
the=20
cache owners may not have&nbsp;realized that what they were doing may =
bring=20
trouble to them and the geocaching community.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C1D686.63F18960--