[Az-Geocaching] Fire volunteers

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 13:52:38 -0700

At 12:04 PM 6/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>allowed. I would think that the Forest Service would
>want any volunteer who is capable of using a shovel
>for a few hours.

It is really safety issue.  Having untrained people out there is really
more dangerous than helpful.  There are things that volunteers can do, but
I would not want them out on the front lines of a fire.

When I was fighting fires in Idaho, we would regularly "draft" loggers into
service but they were there for one thing only, to man a chain saw and fall
whatever trees we told them to.  We also had National Guard from time to
time, but even though the meant well, I always hated having them
there.  They had a real problem taking direction from people other than
military, and they were not trained on how to really fight a fire.  The
worst thing that ever happened to us was when we had a really big fire and
they were so desperate for bodies that they hired anyone that they could
find.  We ended up with 200 people literally overnight that had never been
on a forest fire.  We had a lot of people hurt that first day and the
helicopters were more busy evacuating injured people instead of dropping
water where needed.

As I said, there are a lot of things that volunteers and untrained people
can do.  We would have them delivering food and water to the front line
guys.  They would drive the "6-pack" crew trucks to move crews from one
place to another.  We would also have people like logging truck drivers and
chip truck drivers driving tanker trucks back and forth to deliver fire
fighting water.  We even had them doing things like sharpening chain saws
and hand tools.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache