[Az-Geocaching] Fire volunteers

Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:57:54 -0700 (PDT)

Eric,

I agree with your basic premise that the fire folks need all the help
they can get. But, I have gleaned from my (limited) experience with
the Forest Service/Law Enforcement/Fire Folks that they basically do
not want untrained people in harm's way. In a tense, critical and
frantic situation of an advancing fire, they professionals don't have
the time and manpower to determine who is able to wield a shovel or
hose successfully vs. someone who will just get in the way and they
have to worry about protecting.

Even in a mandatory evacuation situation, they can not force you to
leave.

There are some in Show Low, (about 50, according to the news), who
have stayed to defend their homes. (However, I do believe they have
some kind of waiver that you sign.(?)) It is a liability issue, it is
also an issue of keeping a significant number of people literally out
of the way of the equipment and trained personnel.

This is only my limited experience as a volunteer (signed up with the
Sheriff's office and trained to do a certain job.....which is not
fight fires directly!!). Even as a volunteer for the Search and Rescue
Posse (and fire evac) I had to attend 16 hours of training and a
background check before I got the ID badge that gets me thru the
roadblocks and to my assignment (usually the communications command
post). So, even the "official" volunteers are regulated. By the way,
when on an mission (search or fire) I am covered by the county's
Worker's Comp and property insurance, so I bet all the agencies have
policies about volunteers.

That is kinda off subject, pardon my rambling. Maybe some of the folks
on here with fire-fighting/forest service experience can give a better
answer or a different perspective. (But, I'll bet they are busy, right
Fred??)

take care and keep praying for all involved,
Trisha "Lighting" (not the fire-starting kind!! :-))

On Mon, 24 June 2002, Eric Quinn wrote