[Az-Geocaching] Temp disable

Darren Johnson listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 17:28:04 -0700

> Some of the caches, including mine, have been temporarily disabled, but
> most of them haven't.  During private e-mail conversations with some of
the
> cache owners, I have gotten everything from "just sneak in and find the
> cache" to "a note should be good enough because I don't want to
temporarily
> disable the cache" to "if people are too stupid to know not to go there
> then they deserve what they get."

It goes completely against the ethos of the responsibility of placing a
cache not to be temporarily disabling a cache when the area is off limits.
I can't believe that you have actually gotten those types of responses from
cache owners.  The first and last one in particular show a distinct
disregard for what is currently happening in the state.

As I remember, the ability to temporarily disable a cache hasn't been around
from the start, so it is possible that some cache owners don't know that
feature is available: that I'll grant. It's also possible that the cache
owner didn't think of diabling the cache till the threat passes, and some
cache owners are no longer active and monitoring the situation or their
caches.

However, to encourage sending someone into a restricted area, after it
being pointed out to them that the areas are closed, shows that the person
cares little for the future of this sport or how the public percieves it.
Sorry if that sounds rough but that's the way I see it.

Darren
Team Imperial Eagle