[Az-Geocaching] "Logging a not found"-question

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:28:42 -0700

To go into a little more detail about how I log our no finds:

After I have found that cache.. as mentioned before, I delete the no find.
But, in my 'find' log, I will explain our history with that cache for our
own records and as it may help others seeking that particular cache. Like on
Neighborhood Park Cache, I posted 2 no find logs. I kept the two no find
logs for a while until there were finally a bunch of find logs appearing on
there and then I 'consolidated' my logs into one find log once I found it. I
then explained in my find log that we had been there on previous visits and
had posted 2 no find logs.

I prefer to just have one log on each cache (once all is said and done)to
keep the system neat and orderly for us (253 caches attempted, whether found
or not yet found= 253 logs on my 'my cache' page). I just do that for
simplicity reasons. I am a numbers freak I guess! :)

But, agreeing with Scott, I like to allow the logs to be our 'diary' of our
geocaching history. But, for me it is simpler to ultimately have one log on
each cache attempted (whether found or not yet found). But, I do explain
that I was there on previous visits if that is the case. This, not only for
our own knowledge and history of our experience on that particular cache,
but, that will also let others cachers know that it took me more than one
attempt to find that particular cache. That in itself may send a signal to
the next cachers that "hey, this might be a tough cache and we need to think
it harder when we go looking for it".

I do think it fair to post no find logs to help other cachers attempting
that particular cache. So, I want to leave that 'history' with that cache
for other finders as well. I would guess that most cachers read all the logs
anyways before attempting a particular cache. So, whether I leave the no
find log(s) on there or state that I visited more than once in my eventual
find log... they will get the picture.

That's how we here at RTW do it! :)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Scotts Adventure Flying Web Page (AND NOW!) Geocaching page!
http://www.safwp.bravepages.com