[Az-Geocaching] Might be of interest

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
11 Jun 2002 16:48:05 -0700

Jeremy Irish Said:
>"Because of the assumed database and CPU hit on this, we're going to
> schedule it so you can have each search executed and the results
> emailed to you on a daily basis (at the most). You'll be limited to 5
> searches at any given time with a results size of 500 records max."

I was wondering how he was going to do it.  The hit on the database is
insignificant on azgeocaching.com, it actually only takes about .02
seconds, but to crunch the data into a ebook format can take 30 seconds
or more on the big ones.  With lots of people requesting book, he might
have to dedicate a machine to just crunching books and e-mailing them,
or invest in a real monster of a machine.
We are still working on being able to select caches and have a book
built in real time ourselves. We'll just have to see what can be done,
it's a lot easier for us, since we don't have near the userbase as the
official site.

Brian Cluff