[Az-Geocaching] Dogs in parks (was Cache Page Icons...)

Koch, Dan listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:22:32 -0700

For those that don't know, one of the first rules on every Mesa park sign,
right below the park hours, is "No domestic animals allowed".

Being that I live right on Emerald Park in Mesa, and I'm a very active and
responsible pet owner, I've gone round and round with Mesa Parks and Rec
about dogs in parks.  I've gotten several warnings from Park Rangers (yes,
park rangers, 'police' whose only responsibility it to monitor the parks)
when I take Orion out to the park for a walk or to play.  I've called and
emailed to Debbi (the Public Relations person for the Parks Dept) many, many
times.  She assures me that Mesa isn't against dogs and that many people in
the department even own them.   No...surely you jest! ;)

Basically, the explanation I got is that the park workers have to clean up
after the dogs because the owners don't.  So they don't let dogs into the
parks.  As a dog owner, I may be biased, but that's one of the best examples
of flawed logic I've seen.  Why not keep my neighbor's kids out of the park.
They make much bigger messes than my dog does and I don't see their parents
out cleaning up after them.  Besides, dogs don't make nearly the mess that
weekend parties do...or the ducks that live in the pond...or...

Stopping before I get started,
Dan
Team LazyK