[Az-Geocaching] Geocaching "Teams"

Team Cache-Quest az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:01:57 -0700

Trisha, it probably wasn't obvious, but I was joking with my comment.

I'll start a new topic here and see what kind of responses I get....

The concept of 'team' with regard to geocaching is a bit fuzzy and open to
individual opinion.

In my case, the team is my family.  Since I'm the techno geek in my family
who likes to play with my truck and gps, I'm the one obsessed with
geocaching. I've been the common denominator present at all the finds.
Sometimes I go alone, but usually it is an opportunity to spend time with
some or all of the family.  If I travel on business and get to do some
caching, I still log it as Team Cache-Quest.

There have been several times we have revisited caches because someone in
the family missed it the first time and wanted to see the area or just try
to find the cache. I have chosen not to log those as finds for the team, but
that is just my preference.  I often don't log them at all, unless there is
something the owner or other cachers should know about.

If a couple or friends normally cache together but sometimes cache
individually, I don't think it matters if they log under one name.  If they
started logging a lot of caches individually, I would prefer they log
individually, but it is not a big deal.

The only time the question of "what is a geocaching team?" really matters is
when we start looking at stats.  This is a big reason why we can't take the
stats too seriously. There are a lot of ways to manipulate them.  Four
people in Tucson, Phoenix, Prescott, and Flagstaff could easy consider
themselves a "team" and blow away all the Arizona stats.  I've had an idea
for a chained set of several individual caches based on a specific theme
that could mess up Steven's new daily stats because they would be
concentrated enough to all be done in a day.  Does this mean I shouldn't try
it?  I hope not.

This is one of the reasons why I'm becoming more concerned about trying
organized competitions.  It is going to be hard to keep the competition
fair.

Looking back over this note, I've been on a bit of a soapbox.  Take it for
what it is worth.

Keep on Caching!
Jerry
Team Cache-Quest