[Az-Geocaching] Competition

Brian Cluff az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:30:16 -0700 (MST)

I wouldn't let it get you too down.  We are talking about one person here
that didn't like something, and the whole situation just got a little out
of hand.  There are about 60 people on this mailing list and only about 6
or so that actually post anything.  I'm willing to bet that there are more
people interested in your survivor game than actually spoke up. Besides
you were talking about an opt in type of situation, so if someone got
offended about it they were either feeling left out or they are stupid for
joining in the first place.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm gonna do for a competition yet.  May just an
all out race where you put in the coordinates of your house (major cross
streets would do as well for those that feel they don't want to give away
that information.) and then after sevral people join in, the computer
would pick sevral random caches that nobody in the group had been to that
were all about equal distance from all the participants and then set a
start date and the first one to finish all the caches (maybe with photo
evidence... not sure how im gonna judge if someone actually has been there
or not yet.   Maybe a list of what was in the cache.)
I'll probably come up with some sort of signup sheet where you can enter
and list off dates that you are available to play and then someone else
can come along and also do that.. when 2 or more teams have a date that
they can both play the computer picks the caches and announces that there
will be compition, then waits till probably 5 or 6 am and sends out an
e-mail with a list of chosen caches.....GO (bang)

Dunno, yet though......  I'm still thinking about it.  I would like some
automated thing so that it can be an ongoing thing without a lot of effort
on anyones part.   Oh yeah, I would probably let people pick how far they
are willing to travel for the game too, so that we don't have people have
to get the caches up on lake powell if they don't want to drive that
far... and rent a boat.. etc etc :)

Anyway...  I would appreciate any thoughts about a game.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek