[Az-Geocaching] Land Permits

Larry Farquhar az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 20:17:50 -0700

These are permits I'm aware of to access OUR land in Arizona:

BLM land - no permit required. Just abide by trail and road closure signs.
14 day free camping allowed in most areas.

Indian Reservations - Each reservation has their own rules and possible
permits required for access to their land. Contact the appropriate Indian
Reservation for their specific requirements.

Arizona State Trust Land - A recreational permit is required if accessing
State Trust Land for other than hunting (hunting permit is valid) or just
passing through. An annual permit is $15 for individual, or $20 for a
family. This allows you access to most State Trust Land for recreational
use, including Camping (7 day limit), Horseback riding, Off Highway,
Photography, Picnicking, Hiking, and Bicycling. $500 (max) fine if caught
without a permit. Most areas, even those marked "No trespassing" can be
accessed with this permit. Along with the permit comes a list of areas that
are closed. Permits can be obtained by mail or in person at: Arizona State
Trust Land Department, 1616 W. Adams, Phoenix, AZ, 85007 (might try
602-542-7235). Tucson also has an office (address unknown).

Forest Service - The Bull-Dog Canyon Off-Highway Area (Tonto National
Forest) is an area that requires a permit to operate a motorized vehicle in
the area. Hiking and camping are allowed without a permit. Permits are free,
and are good for 6 months. $5000 (max) fine if caught driving in the area
without a permit. The permit provides you with the combination to the gates
for 6 months (combo is changed each month). Permits can be obtained ONLY at:
Mesa Ranger District Office, 26 N. MacDonald, Mesa, AZ 85201 (480-610-3300 -
call first, as they have weird office hours). Permits might be obtained by
mail - call them.

Barry M. Goldwater Range/Cabeza Preita National Wildlife Refuge/Area A
portion of Sonoran Desert National Monument - A permit is required for ANY
access (foot or vehicle) to this area, also known as "El Camino Del Diablo"
(see cache GC294C
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10572). The permit is
free and good from July through June. See cache GC294C for further details
and where permits can be obtained.

There might be other permits available, but these are the ones I'm aware of
and have obtained the last 3.

Anybody know of others?

Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"