[Az-Geocaching] 'can't find vs. 'note'...

Trisha Radley az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:21:58 -0700

((giggle))  Thanks Mike!~
~~trisha

----- Original Message -----
From: <Noesis4@aol.com>
To: <az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 10:46 PM
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] 'can't find vs. 'note'...

> For what it's worth, I agree in principle with Scott's post on utilizing
the 'can't find' designation as opposed to the 'note' log when a cache
cannot be located.

> I have used both... I have a 'can't find' listed on 'Other Side of the
Needle', but have actually found this cache. Problem was, when I first went
after it, I was a complete newbie at geocaching - '..Needle' being only the
third cache that I had ever attempted. After the 4-5 mile hike, believe me,
I was not happy to be skunked at ground zero, unable to find it.

> About seven months later, I made a second attempt, and found it easily. I
kept the original 'can't find' as listed, since the time between attempts
was pretty signifigant, and I feel that the first failed attempt was owing
to my total lack of geocaching experience. Every so often, I'll read that
log and chuckle, as a reminder of what NOT to do while geocaching...

> Now, on 'Where Eagles Soar' (?name? - it's since been archived..), I did
post a 'note' after my first failed attempt, because I honestly thought that
it had been pilfered (lots of nosy neighbors were about!), and I had looked
right up to sunset (frustration! Damn sunset!). It was less a 'can't find'
as a request for confirmation of existense from the owner. Turns out that it
was indeed there, and I located it the following week, so I left that 'note'
as is. Seems like it's kosher to leave a 'note' if I run out of
time/sunlight before completing a search - or, as in the case of 'Ya Skala',
I'm forced to vacate the premises by security! (My fault, it was very
late...)

> There shouldn't be any shame in not locating a cache. My only other 'can't
find' is for 'Phoenician View' - a cache practically in my own backyard,
just off of a trail that I've travelled over dozens of times! Ah, the
irony... I WILL find that one sooner or later!

> By the way - my belated congratulations to Team C.H.U.M.P. for breaking
the '100' barrier, and to Trisha for her rapid encroachment on the 'Thirty'
club! ;)