[Az-Geocaching] Re: Mileage? and Re: Sprocket's Challenge

Scott Sparks listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 18:00:05 -0700

--------------000603070100030508010002

>As the crow flies, taking the direct (shortest?) route to get to all 6
>stages, about 130 miles.  Add about 30% for actual driving distances and I'd
>guess about 170 miles.
>
>LazyK - Dan

If you consider that "Chain Cache" actually involves six different
independent caches, that averages out to around 28 miles per cache.
 Even this average is more than the under 20 miles involved in
"Sprocket's Challenge: Chasing the Goose."  That is, if you don't make
any errors or take any wrong turns along the way.   That's part of the
challenge, though. :-)

And, by the way, the challenge is still on!   Only two geocachers have
logged a find and two no-finds.  Unfortunately, the two no-finds were
the weekend right after the highway maintenace department decided to
remove the first clue while cutting weeds in the area.  It has since
been replaced (Nov 23) and all legs are in place.  Yes, "Team Roping the
Wind", even the 3rd leg, which was there when you searched for it. ;-)
(I'm sorry-- I thought I had e-mailed you after you updated your log on
the 24th but I guess it slipped my mind.)

>Speaking of which.. does anyone know of the status of this cache? I visited
>on November 10th or somewhere's around there. Could not find part #1. I
>posted a no find log on it. Ibby then also posted a no find log. There was a
>note log by the cache owner saying it was gone and that it had been
>replaced. I returned and found part #1. It still took me nearly 30 minutes
>to find it. It was hidden VERY well! We then went to part #2 and found it
>quickly. On to part #3.. could not find it. We could very possibly have just
>simply not found it considering how well the first part was hidden. However,
>I would bet we spent (me and a teammate) close to an hour searching for part
>#3 and could not find anything with coordinates on it or any object that may
>have had coordinates. We probably turned over every rock in the area and
>every piece of garbage as well in the area. No dice. Is it there? I again
>posted a no find log on November 24th. There has been no more logs (find,
>note, no find or otherwise) since my no find log. I find it hard to beleive
>no one has gone out there searching. Probably not posting any logs that they
>could not find it. I would guess the two no find logs are scaring people
>away from this cache. So, a note log from the cache owner saying they
>checked on it would be helpful if they ever want to see another log on their
>cache! Usually after a couple/few no find logs, I find that most teams just
>stay away from a given cache until they see a find log or something from the
>cache owner saying it is there, has been replaced.. whatever. I know I
>usually do that.
>
>Anyways, if anyone has any info on this cache it would be helpful as I am
>anxious to get out and continue it. It has been a fun cache with some really
>well hidden clues.
>
>Scott
>Team Ropingthewind

I assumed there had been little activity because of the holiday season
and the change in weather. (I know my caching adventures have slowed
down.)   If anyone has been "scared off" because of the no-find logs,
rest assured that "Sprocket's Challenge: Chasing the Goose" is alive and
well and waiting for someone to accept the challenge.

-- Sprocket

--------------000603070100030508010002

<head>
  <title></title>