[Az-Geocaching] newbies and archeaological site

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:25:16 -0700 (MST)

Hey, it looks like both our recent newcomers are from Tucson.  We don't have
as many caches down here as up in Phoenix, but there's sure enough and enough
variety to get you addicted!  Welcome aboard both Team Gizmo and WingRider!
You can probably find a couple of my caches without a GPS if you're careful.
The descriptions given in some of their pages could get you there - for
example, my Bear Down NGS (Teddy Bear Cache, by FroBro Goose is another
Tucson area cache that you could probably do without a GPS...).  Watching the
footage click down, as Scott says, is fun, though, and in most cases, having
the GPS tell you that you are within 20 feet is almost necessary unless you
are very good with a map and compass.

See you on the trails!

Jim (Team Scotti).

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Richard Pinnell wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I read the article about geocaching on the AZ Republic website.  I did
> seem one sided to me.  However, I had never heard of geocaching prior to
> this article.  I checked out the geocaching website and am purchasing a
> GPS unit next week. Thanks to that article, the sport has 2 new members.
> This sounds like so much fun to my wife and I.  We will probably try to
> do one of the easier ones in Tucson this weekend without the GPS.
>
> Let me assure you all that we will never destroy or vandalize.  We are
> both native Tucsonans and we very much value our natural resources.
>
> Team Gizmo

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu
University of Arizona