[Az-Geocaching] Over reaction

Eric Quinn listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:17:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Wood <wood@myblueheaven.com> wrote:
> At 10:46 AM 8/8/2002 -0700, Eric wrote:

> >or a large number of land managers looking
> >for any on public property property.

> That is another matter all together.  If we
> are turning caches into member's only in an
> effort to "hide" them from land managers,
> aren't we somewhat guilty of breaking the
> rules and good spirit of geocaching?

The problem is one of communication. There are good
land managers and there are bad ones. The good ones
will find out if permission has been given for a cache
and if so, they will leave the cache alone. A bad land
manager is one who will check the web site, see a
cache on "his land" and pull it, even though
permission was given by another steward.

I think we agree that a cache should not be converted
to MO simply to stop someone from removing it if it
shouldn't be there in the first place.  Hiding though
is a good way to avoid the "act first, think later"
breed.

Eric
TD