[Az-Geocaching] Over reaction

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:43:28 -0700

At 10:46 AM 8/8/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>In some ways I agree with the sentiment Scott has
>expressed and in some ways I don't. I can see where
>someone would worry about caches going missing with a
>large number of new people either trying out the sport

I worry about my caches going missing, but the fact is that I hid my cache
so that people could find it.  If that means that it is there for a large
number of new cachers that is great.  All of us were new geocachers at one
time or another, and if I was just starting and people were changing their
caches over to caches that I couldn't find until I decided that I wanted to
support the sport, just because I happened to join at the same time as a
large group of others, I suspect that it would really give me a sour taste
as far as geocaching goes.

>or a large number of land managers looking for any on
>public property property.

That is another matter all together.  If we are turning caches into
member's only in an effort to "hide" them from land managers, aren't we
somewhat guilty of breaking the rules and good spirit of geocaching?

>phenominon because, as Scott said, it would be a shame
>for new hunters not to be able to find some great
>caches.

Many of those great caches are what got us hooked on this sport in the
first place.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache