[Az-Geocaching] FW: High Tech Scavenger Hunt

Ford, Denny listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:09:50 -0700

I too sent an email to the author of the article,
at the bottom was my original letter, then in the middle her entire response, and then my rebuttal to her comments of
intent to inform.

Denny
Tres Hombres

-----Original Message-----
From: Ford, Denny
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 11:01 AM
To: 'christina.leonard@arizonarepublic.com'
Subject: RE: High Tech Scavenger Hunt

I understand that it was written to inform, but you really did not portray the geocacher as who we are.  You took the
word of a park ranger, and without facts on who actually did do this vandalism, and pointed the blame at the entire
Geocaching group.  It would be the same if you blamed the hunters for leaving trash in the desert, just because some of
them have been used for target practice when the trash was thrown out by someone else.  If something is not factually
based, please do not slant it that way.  That is how the article came across as fact not an opinion.  The desert and
wilderness are wonderful places, I have been an avid outdoorsman, and I teach my sons to respect nature, but at the same
time enjoy it.  I have had the pleasure of meeting a large number of the truly dedicated geocachers, and all are very
responsible, and when we see something that is harmful we police ourselves.  All we ask is to portray us as who we are,
not a bunch of uncaring vandals.

sincerely
Denny Ford