[Az-Geocaching] Disabling a cache

Tim Giron listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:47:20 -0400

For those of you that don't already know, you can temporarily disable a cache that you own.  Unlike the rest of the management links at the top right of the cache details page, this link is sandwiched between the coordinates and the download when you are viewing a cache that you have placed.

I bring this up, because it is a primary communication mechanism. Logging a note that you have temporarily removed one of your caches for servicing should be considered a secondary communication. The reason is that many cache seekers (yours truly included) do not read the logs before going after a cache. There are just too many spoilers in there and what may seem like an innocuous statement to one person might be the clue that spoils the hunt for another. I have also gotten too good at recognizing key words in ROT-13, so I even avoid looking at the encrypted hint most of the time.

Last night, before attending an event downtown, Kim and I attempted to find "Ya Skala". I purposely avoided the discussion entries related to that cache on the list yesterday. Just before leaving the house, I printed out the cache page.

We spent over an hour at the cache site before the event and about a half hour after (Hi, my name is Tim and I'm a geocacher... Hi Tim). After returning home, I took a peek at Bob Renner's list post because I know he gives conservative clues (that's a good thing, Bob) and then took a look at the top couple of logs since his post indicated that the cache was indeed missing.

I understand that extenuating circumstances can prevent a cache owner from responding quickly to reports of a possible liberation, but a note on the cache by the owner 2 days after the status was personally verified isn't, in my opinion, very clear communication.

Tim
Team AZFastFeet