[Az-Geocaching] Amateur Beacon / GeoCache..

Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:04:40 -0700 (PDT)

Love the idea, Chris...in the "old" days my team and I
were almost unbeatable in 2M trasnmitter hunts in So.
Cal....
There's lots of nice spots in the Prescott area, but I
am assuming you want to stay closer to Phoenix.
I'll be watching for the details....so is this
something that could be found both via GPS and RF?

Trisha "Lightning" ~~~ N7TMY
Prescott

On Wed, 17 April 2002, "C. Sullivan" wrote

> It's about to happen: a GeoCache that can be found
not only by GPS, but by
> radio direction-finding.
>
> I recently constructed a small QRP 2 meter CW beacon
inside the bottom of
> a quart-size paint can.  It has a small solar panel
and two AA NiCd cells
> for power.  It is capable of transmitting a
100-character message every
> five minutes.  My initial tests show it has about a
45mW output.. but
> beefing that up to around 150mW should be trivial
(one good transistor can
> do wonders).
>
> I've given it a lot of thought, and I've decided that
I want this little
> "rabbit" to be my first GeoCache.  The only problem
is, I can't think of a
> really good place to put it.  So, here's my challenge.
>
> If somebody out there who is a ham (or other radio
hobbyist) can find me a
> good mountaintop site to hide a GeoCache, preferably
somewhere where a
> 100mW signal can be heard for enough of a distance to
be
> challenging / interesting to RDF enthusiasts, and
also an interesting