[Az-Geocaching] Amateur Beacon / GeoCache..

C. Sullivan listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:16:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 trisha@brasher.com wrote:

> Love the idea, Chris...in the "old" days my team and I
> were almost unbeatable in 2M trasnmitter hunts in So.
> Cal....
> There's lots of nice spots in the Prescott area, but I
> am assuming you want to stay closer to Phoenix.
> I'll be watching for the details....so is this
> something that could be found both via GPS and RF?

Yes.  The idea was to do sort-of a multicache: to have a primary location
(with the coordinates listed on the website) that would be a logical
starting place for either a GPS or RDF-based hunt.  The final coordinates
for the actual cache would be in a microcache at the starting point... but
you could also hear the 2 meter beacon clear enough to start sniffing
around with an RF sniffer and/or get a good bearing with a directional
antenna and start walking.

Somewhere in Phoenix Metro would be nice, but a short drive (like
Prescott, Apache Junction, etc.) wouldn't be too bad.  I've been driving /
hiking around South Mountain Park, but just haven't been able to find the
"ideal" spot.  Also, I want to be "polite" and make sure that it's far
enough away from the actual city so somebody dosen't have to hear a loud
beacon every time they point their directional antenna a certain way. :)

KD6COS/B GEOCACHE PWR OK ... what it's currently programmed to send.  The
PWR OK is the status of the battery.

-Feedle