[Az-Geocaching] Another Tucson cache bites it

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:04:29 -0700 (PDT)

I think it's pretty hypocritical and stinky IF the
Ranger guy is logging that caches as a "find" and then
removing them!! (I don't know if this is the case, just
my reaction) ie: Let him enforce the law, but don't log
a find!!  :-)
trisha

On Fri, 12 April 2002, Jerry Nelson wrote

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500"
name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>It's actually not surprising that the ranger who
is removing the caches
from National Park land is a cacher himself.&nbsp; It's
obviously how he thought
to look for them in the first place.&nbsp; It's
interesting how he "blew his
cover" here though.&nbsp; Snaptek guys, check to see if
he is a user of this
listserv.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My guess is that he's just trying to do his job as
he sees it, but if he
did know about this e-mail list it would have been
better for him to post a
tactful reminder to those with caches on Park land and
ask them to voluntarily
remove them.&nbsp; He could also have done so directly
by contacting the cache
owners through the main Web site.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It wouldn't hurt to make him aware of this
listserv and invite him to take
part in a discussion.&nbsp; Nobody here is so upset
that they would berate him
with obscenities (I don't think).&nbsp; Communication
almost always brings good
results.&nbsp; I doubt we'll get him to ignore the
law.&nbsp; Many here probably
don't want him to. But we all might feel better about
the situation after having
talked together.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jerry-Offtrail</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:28:27 -0700 Scott Wood
&lt;<A
href="mailto:wood@myblueheaven.com">wood@myblueheaven.com</A>&gt; writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT:
10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px">
  <DIV>I don't know how many of you are watching the
following cache:<BR><BR><A

href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=586"

eudora="autourl">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=586</A><BR><FONT
  face=Verdana><B>FirePoint at Scenic StarDance
<BR><BR></B>but if you are you
  probably noticed something very interesting
today.&nbsp; I just recieved the
  following two log watch
notifications.<BR><BR>#1:<BR><BR></FONT>Ranger51 has
  logged a cache on your watch list (FirePoint at
Scenic StarDance). You can
  visit the cache at the following link:<BR><FONT
color=#0000ff><U><A

href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=586"

eudora="autourl">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=586<BR></A></U></FONT>User
  comments: <BR>The FirePoint at Senic StarDance cache
has been removed under 36
  CFR 2.22(a)(2) Leaving property unattended for longer
than 24 hours, except in
  locations where longer time periods have been
designated or in accordance with
  conditions established by the superintendent. The
cache has been impounded
  under 36 CFR 2.22(b)Impoundment of Property. Per the
regulations set forth in
  36 CFR 2.22(b)the cache will be stored at Saguaro
National Park for a period
  of 60 days during which the owner can claim the cache
by contacting Saguaro
  National Park, West.<BR>Thank you,<BR>Ranger
Jackson<BR><BR>#2:<BR><BR>Saguaro
  Rangers has logged a cache on your watch list
[...]

Jackson<BR><BR>What I find odd
  about this is that it would appear that "Ranger51"
removed the cache and
  logged it.&nbsp; They then deleted the log entry and
re-entered it as "Saguaro
  Rangers" which is the same geocaching.com account
that they used for the cache
  out in the East unit.&nbsp; If you look though the
logs for this cache you
  will see that "Ranger51" had already logged this
cache as a find.&nbsp;
  Infact, "Ranger51" is a fairly active cache hunter
here in Tucson.<BR><BR>I am
  not saying that there appears to be any hypocrisy
  but....<BR><BR>&nbsp;</DIV><BR>
  <DIV>Scott</DIV>
  <DIV>Team My Blue Heaven</DIV>
  <DIV><A href="http://www.myblueheaven.com/geocache"

EUDORA="AUTOURL">www.myblueheaven.com/geocache</A></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>