[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Mapsource for Etrex Legend or Vista

DAVID Hansen listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:37:48 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C1DF13.560511B0

I have a Garmin Vista GPSR and recently purchased the MapSource Roads and=
 Recreation CD, I just checked the documentation but could find no refere=
nce to map scaling, however this may only be due to the title. the mapsou=
rce software does let you control how much map detail you want to upload =
I recently uploaded all of Arizona, Utah and part of Nevada with the deta=
il settings on high and had no problems. Hope this helps a little.

David Hansen (Tech2000) =20
----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Nicol
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 10:24 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Garmin Mapsource for Etrex Legend or Vista

Howdy All,

Speaking of software...

Is anyone using the Garmin Mapsource CD software with their garmin Etrex
(legend or vista) GPS?

I hear it is the 1:100,000th scale. (7.5' topo's are 1:24,000th).

What I am wondering is... does the software, when downloaded, look exactl=
like the real 1:100,000th topos? I have been curious to here some 'review=
s'
on it as I am looking to purchase mapping software so I can put some topo
maps in my Etrex Legend.

I have also heard that the Garmin Etrex (or other Garmins) only except
downloaded maps from Garmin's Mapsource? Is this true? I have heard I can
use other mapping software to download waypoints and routes and stuff, bu=
t,
only Mapsoure will actually download maps.

Finally.. are there any other Etrex Legend or Vista users out there that
have the Mapsource (or other if so) topo maps in their GPS's? Exactly how
much is 8MB of maps? Is that enough for the whole state of AZ or only a
given area?

Thanks!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C1DF13.560511B0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I have a Garmi=
n Vista GPSR and recently purchased the MapSource Roads and Recreation CD=
, I just checked the documentation but could find no reference to map sca=
ling, however this may only be due to the title. the mapsource software d=
oes let you control how much map detail you want to upload I recently upl=
oaded all of Arizona, Utah and part of Nevada&nbsp;with the detail settin=
gs on high and had no problems. Hope this&nbsp;helps a little.</DIV> <DIV=
>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Hansen&nbsp;(Tech2000)&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE s=
tyle=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-L=
EFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Aria=
l">----- Original Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; =
FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> Scott Nicol</DIV> <DIV style=
=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 08, 2002 10:24 AM</DIV> =
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> listserv@azgeocaching.com</DIV=
> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Garmin =
Mapsource for Etrex Legend or Vista</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>Howdy All,<BR>=
<BR>Speaking of software...<BR><BR>Is anyone using the Garmin Mapsource C=
D software with their garmin Etrex<BR>(legend or vista) GPS?<BR><BR>I hea=
r it is the 1:100,000th scale. (7.5' topo's are 1:24,000th).<BR><BR>What =
I am wondering is... does the software, when downloaded, look exactly<BR>=
like the real 1:100,000th topos? I have been curious to here some 'review=
s'<BR>on it as I am looking to purchase mapping software so I can put som=
e topo<BR>maps in my Etrex Legend.<BR><BR>I have also heard that the Garm=
in Etrex (or other Garmins) only except<BR>downloaded maps from Garmin's =
Mapsource? Is this true? I have heard I can<BR>use other mapping software=
 to download waypoints and routes and stuff, but,<BR>only Mapsoure will a=
ctually download maps.<BR><BR>Finally.. are there any other Etrex Legend =
or Vista users out there that<BR>have the Mapsource (or other if so) topo=
 maps in their GPS's? Exactly how<BR>much is 8MB of maps? Is that enough =
for the whole state of AZ or only a<BR>given area?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>=
Scott<BR>Team Ropingthewind<BR><BR><BR>__________________________________=
 at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp.<BR><BR>____________________________=