[Az-Geocaching] Who needs a GPSR

Larry Farquhar lfar@home.com
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:51:29 -0700

That IS really odd. Was there any type of identification to a cache "name"?
If you can reveal it, what was the name of the park? I'm only aware of one
archived cache in Tucson, that's probably not it.

I agree that we all need to be responsible in the placement, and finding, of
the caches. A few bad circumstances can ruin it for everyone. There's
already enough controversy going on about the placement and seeking of
caches.

Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"
www.azjeeper.com

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.snaptek.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.snaptek.com]On Behalf Of Scott Wood
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 4:53 PM
To: az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Who needs a GPSR

My wife and I found two caches today without ever turning our GPSR on.

We went to a park in the Tucson area that we have been planning on leaving
our first cache at today to plant it, and while hiking in the area to find
a suitable place, we found two caches, left by the same person, marked with
www.geocaching.com within 15 yards of each other. The problem was that
neither of these caches were even hidden, just sat right in the middle of
the trail.

Neither cache is listed on www.geocaching.com so there is no way to contact
the owner of the cache, and there is no e-mail address in the cache.
According to the log book, both have been found in the past, and the caches
were placed on the 19th of October. Both were also started with only one
item with a logbook, in pretty flimsy plastic containers.

Needless to say I was somewhat upset to find that someone had beat me to
the park to place a cache, but the more I thought about it, the thing that
has me more upset is the careless way in which these caches were placed. I
can see where this is going to give cachers a really bad name.

I hope that the person who placed these caches reads this listserv and will
do something about these caches.  It is a beautiful park, and a very good
place for a cache, but if they are going to be placed, they should be in
such a way that they are actually hidden, and please list them on
geocaching.com.

In liberty,

Scott

wood@myblueheaven.com