[Az-Geocaching] New Feature!!

Cache-Quest az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 05:23:16 -0700

Oh, Boy!  My machine was down for a day and look at all the exciting
discussion that I missed!

Here is my 2 cents (and that is probably more than its worth).

First, I really appreciate the effort Jason and others make on the Snaptek
site.  I find the information fun and these new features look especially
useful. There is a bit of a competition, but for me that's good because it
gets me off my butt and out doing something physical. I like seeing where
others have visited and what order they picked to hit the caches.  It helps
me with my own planning.   I'm not sure what the Cache Karma means, but I
know that when mine starts to go negative it feel compelled to go hide
another cache.  I think that's a good thing, too.

Second, I understand Michael's points and agree with most of them. However,
I do miss the friendly competition of trying to catch Team TJ. In my
opinion, by posting to Geocaching.com we place our comments in the public
domain. The posts contain very few data elements (date, location,
success/failure/log).  The Snaptek site (and other sites) simply cut and
slice the data for presentation in a different form.  It would be nice if
Jason added a feature that allowed a team to exclude themselves from the
stats.  It would help protect their privacy.  However, I've worked on data
warehouses in the retail and fianacial industries.  What they know about our
behaviour can be frightening, but there are positive uses to that
information too.

Finally, I recommend we all take a deep breath before replying to what
people post here.  Recently there has been discussion regarding caching
etiquette and harsh reactions by some cache owners.  If we want to improve
this sport, we must be willing to entertain other ideas and not shutdown
discussion.   I personally have a lot of ideas and concerns about what is
happening in the sport, but I rarely post them simply because I don't want
to start a fire fight.

Happy New Year!
Jerry
Team Cache-Quest