[Az-Geocaching] Old mines

+ (text/html)
Author: Gale
To: listserv
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Old mines
By now, most of you have heard about the 3 girls on their atv near Chloride who fell into an old mine shaft. Ive lived in Arizona for decades. I had the dangers of old mines drilled into me. Ive always been careful when Ive been out wandering in the desert. Despite that, I nearly fell into an old mine myself back in 1986 or 1987. I was watching where I was going, in an area around Pearce in southern Arizona. I took a step over a rise, around a bush, and nearly stepped right into a shaft. The angle of it prevented me from seeing it. I tossed rocks into it, and could hear them land far down the shaft. As geocachers, many of us go out in the areas where there are old mines. I urge people (especially those new to Arizona) to be careful and never underestimate the dangers of those old mines.

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898