[Az-Geocaching] Caches on Arizona BLM lands

+ (text/html)
Author: ShadowAce
To: listserv
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Caches on Arizona BLM lands
Morning all,

I am sending this to the Arizona Geocaching Listserv as well as a few
people in BCC (hay some people dont want email address spread around) please
help spread the word?

As many of you know, the BLM for Arizona is becoming involved in
geocaching. They have created a webpage with information and regulations for
places they manage.
http://www.blm.gov/az/geocache.htm

A basic map showing the regions for the BLM is located here:
http://www.blm.gov/az/azmap.htm

I was working to get a new cache out on some BLM property so I have started
a dialog with our local office in Tucson.

Francisco J. Mendoza is the outdoor recreation planner for the Tucson sector
and he has been very nice and helpful. It appears the BLM is getting serious
about requiring permission for cache placements including they are going to
be conducting a survey on all caches currently on BLM lands in the area.

I received some more email from him this morning and I told him I would
pass this along to as many people as I can. He is trying to make the
permission portion easier to get.

Read on please, and forward this to all your geocaching friends in AZ.. Lets
not get the BLM upset with us as that is a huge portion of our playground.
I will forward any other information I obtain from them.

I have found this webpage by the state that shows land management:
http://sco.az.gov/website/parcels/viewer.htm

You can use this to find out if the property is State Trust, Wilderness,
Fish and Game, BLM, BLM wildlife ect. ect.

-ShadowAce / Dirk

-----

We are getting more cache calls than previously, and we'll probably need to
do a review of the existing caches in our field office some time in the near
future. In the meantime, we are considering asking folks who want to place
a cache to submit a simple request with the following information:

DATE REQUESTED
DESCRIPTION OF CACHE
UTM-EAST
UTM-NORTH
NAME-FIRST
NAME-LAST
E-MAIL
ADDRESS1
CITY
STATE
ZIP
PHONE

Once the request is received, we'll review the location for potential
concerns using the following criteria, based on existing/available data.

Location
Land Ownership
Archaeological Sites
T/E Species
Sensitive Wildlife/Vegetation Habitat
Access/Transportation System
OHV Designations
Wilderness Areas
Areas of Critical Environmental Concern
Mining Operations/Hazards
Rights-of-Way and Easements
Grazing Allotments Use and Developments
Recreation Sites and Developments

Based on the review findings, the cache may be OK without further action, or
may not be OK at the location requested and relocation required, or may be
OK where located with special conditions/stipulations.

========================
Tucson Sector

Francisco J. Mendoza
Outdoor Recreation Planner
12661 E. Broadway Blvd.
Tucson, AZ 85748
PH(520) 258-7226
FAX(520) 258-7238

----------
Other Offices are:

Craig J. Johnson
Archaeologist
BLM/Kingman Field Office
2755 Mission Blvd.
Kingman, AZ 86401
Office: 928-718-3731
Fax: 928-718-3761
email:

------------

Sally Murray
2610 Sweetwater Ave.
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86406
(928) 505-1238

Lake Havasu Office

------------
BLM Arizona Strip office contact:
David Kiel

345 E. Riverside Dr.
St. George, Utah 84790
Phone 435 688-3240
FAX 435 688-3388

Not sure at this point who to refer you to specifically for the Phoenix
Field Office but you can start with

, or

For the Safford Field Office try