RE: [Az-Geocaching] Mars will look as big as the full moon??…

Author: Jim Scotti
To: listserv, bill
New-Topics: [Az-Geocaching] Off topic post
Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Mars will look as big as the full moon?? JIMSCOTTI, help!
Hmm, I consider amateurs "real" astronomers too. Quite a few of them have
engaged in very professional appearing observing programs and anytime you
spend a lot of time under the stars examining the various things in the
Universe, that sounds like real astronomy to me. Just because you don't try
and quantify things and apply physics to understand what you're seeing
doesn't disqualify you in my opinion..... I'd say real astronomy definitely
includes teaching too!

Jim.

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Bill Nolan wrote:

> Nope, only one "real" astronomer that I know of. I teach beginning students
> about things that the real astronomers discover. I don't do any actual
> astronomy myself, unless you count my amateur observing.
>
> Bill

Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721 USA                 http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/