Re: [Az-Geocaching] Garmin Customer Service

+ 76SSpecs.jpg (image/jpeg)
Author: Cordell Harris
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Garmin Customer Service
Barry, I use the 76S. Have had it about 7 months. Bought it to replace an
emap I busted by sitting on a rock on the north Rim. The 76S is much more
capable and versatile than most hand helds I've encountered. The compass is
dead nuts on when properly calibrated. Same with the altimeter. Mapsource
data is easily loaded. We use it for road travel as well as wilderness and
water navigation.

Its only drawback is battery life. It uses two AA cells. I use
rechargeable nickel-metal hydrides and have found they only last about 6
hours under constant use. Alkaline batteries seem to last about twice that
long. To compensate, we carry an extra set of rechargeable.

Accuracy is excellent because it can manages twelve satellites and even on
cliff sides I find that when I zero the coordinates and allow the unit to
"settle in", I look down and the cache is there at my feet. I don't know
which plug the GPS III uses but the emap used a four contact rectangular
plug whereas the 76S uses a four pin round plug, so the cables were not
interchangeable. The specs are attached.