Re: [Az-Geocaching] Caches, more or less...

+ (text/html)
Author: Brian Casteel
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Caches, more or less...

But of course, you will get the people who say "Oh, let the cache continue for as long as it can, until the ammo can turns to dust, if necessary". That's good thinking, leave it out there so only 1 person a year can go find it.

To that 1 person, it could be a very special find, and just the type that they want to seek out. Why should all caches be simple urban micros, or hikes of .25-miles or less? Rural caches are visited less frequently for the very location they've been hidden....RURAL areas. In Wyoming there were a series of caches I never got the chance to visit because I didn't have access to a 4x4 that got decent mileage (meaning more than the 6mpg this old Blazer was getting). These caches had one visit each in over a year. Why? Because they're remote and somewhat difficult to get to, but the area was absolutely beautiful from pictures I've seen. I hardly feel those should be archived due to lack of visits, and if I'm up there next summer, I'll make the 100 mile drive just for those 6 caches. There's a double 300-foot waterfall just up the way from one of them, and I'd have never known that if it wasn't for these caches I looked up.

Geocaching has something for everyone, and part of that everyone are cachers who shun urban Altoids acid containers in favor of those long, difficult hikes that are rarely visited. A cache I'm looking at placing soon will probably go at least 2-3 months without a find because it's going to be extremely remote, but following a pretty cool theme.

Brian
Team A.I.