Re: [Az-Geocaching] Poor GPS Signals During War?

Author: Scott Wood
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Poor GPS Signals During War?
At 11:08 PM 3/18/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>The argument is that by doing so, the enemy -- in this case Iraq -- would
>not be able to exploit the system to pinpoint US-led forces sweeping into
>the country.

I have been thinking about this alot, and one of the last major programs
that I worked on while in the Air Force was a GPS system.

I guess only time will tell, but I sort of doubt that anything will
change. Selective Availability was a logistical nightmare, and if the war
starts sometime after 6 pm tomorrow, there really isn't enough time for the
troops to get back up to speed on it. Not that they are not capable, but
there would be alot of "ground work" that would have to be done first.

As I said, we will most likely know tomorrow, but I am not really sure how
someone like Iraq would be able to use the signal against us, we already
know that they have bought a number of signal jammers to try and lead our
weapons off target, but I doubt that they have any weapons that are GPS guided.

This is of course speculation, but we should know within the next 24 hours
or so.

In liberty,

Scott

www.myblueheaven.com