[Az-Geocaching] Caches being removed from Superstition Wilde…

+ (text/html)
Author: listserv@azgeocaching.com
To: listserv
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Caches being removed from Superstition Wilderness Area
We just returned from a trip to the Superstitions. Our intention was to hit
the "Cholla Forest" Cache and then continue on to the "Other Side of the
Needle" cache and the new "Really Fantastic" cache.

Things were going good until we arrived at the Other Side of the Needle.
While looking for the cache a ranger from the Mesa Ranger District came up to
us and said we were not going to be very happy with him. Turns out he had
just removed the cache. Both the Other Side of the Needle and Really
Fantastic caches were sitting right there in his backpack. He told us that
they just found out about geocaching and have decided to remove all caches
within the wilderness boundary. In addition to these caches, they have
already removed all of the caches along the Peralta trail in the Freemont
Saddle area. The caches in the Reavis Ranch area were also being removed
today. They are basically citing the regulation that it is property that has
been abandoned after 24 hours. It seemed the biggest concerns were creating
new trails and some of the items contained in the caches (food in
particular).

He indicated that all of the confiscated caches would be taken to the Mesa
Ranger station. The placers of the caches can pick them up and there will be
no penalty or fine. We asked him if there was any chance caches would
eventually be allowed in the area. He didn't give a definite answer but
thought that with a proper permit and some advance approval from the district
it may be ok. Hopefully the caches will eventually be able to return to this
area, some of our favorite trips have been in the Superstitions.

I asked them to post a message on the list serve to let us know all the
caches that were going to be removed. If you have hidden any caches in the
area it may be a good idea to call the Mesa Ranger District of the US Forest
Service.

On a side note, we are wondering if we should claim these two caches as a
virtual finds. We made it to the cache sites and even found the caches (in
his back pack). Unfortunately we couldn't exchange anything or sign the log
books.

Hopefully there are not too many others in the Superstitions looking for
these confiscated caches.

Jim & Kristen (AZSaluki)