Author: Loran Wilcox
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Smokin' GPS Attachment Deal for (Some) Palm Users
MessageI have one and it is a bit tricky to use. That is getting all the right software to work together.

This was a reply I posted on the forums.

----------
GPS Companion for the Palm 500

First - its a nice toy.
Second - it works well once you figure it out.

Now that I've said the nice things I'll add the warnings. The unit is not user friendly. The map display shows to little when zoomed out and doesn't track that well. You need to be a Techno geek to figure it all out. The software that come with it is less than adequate.

Work arounds. After much searching on the forums I've come up with the following solutions.

1) Cetus (freeware) provide good gps tracking functions. (replaces NAV)

2) GPSbable (freeware) provide conversion of waypoints from .loc format to whatever. Not always the easies to understand.

3) Delorme XMap Hand Held ($40) ability to download maps to palm.

4) Delorme Topo USA 4.0 ($100) ability to download topo maps to palm (requires XMap HH). Also used to create waypoint file for XMap HH.

5) PiMover of tealmovr (shareware) to delete waypoint file for XMap HH from palm.

So how do I use it.

1)Get .loc and .prc files from Geocaching.com.

2)Use Word to create comma delimited .txt file from .loc file. I created macros to parse .loc file and leave only North coord, West coord, and name of each cache.

3)Import .txt file into Topo USA 4.0

4) Export Maps and Waypoint From Topo USA 4.0 to Palm.

5)Use GPSbable to create .pdb file for Cetus from .txt file.

6) Send .prc file to Palm

7) Send .pdb file to Palm

8) Hope it works this time

As I tried to state earlier it not an easy process but I'm still working on it. Hope this helps.

All said and done I do like the unit I just wish it were more user friendly

------
Also I've upgraded to a m515 for color as the m500 doesn't do justice to the mapping software and is had to use in low light conditions.

Thank for putting up with my ramblings but wanted to put some light on this product. Now that I got all/most of the kinks worked out it is a great unit.

Loran (Team Sand Dollar)