Re: [Az-Geocaching] what makes a good cache

+ (text/html)
Author: loran wilcox
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] what makes a good cache
The best caches are those that introduce you to a new area. Without these there are many places in Arizona I would have never seen.

I don't need an ammo box with lots of stuff to make a cache good. The good caches are those that someone has put some thought into. Hiding it in someplace special, finding a new way to hide the cache, or making a game of it with a puzzle or some other twist.

The worst caches are the copycats where a person just feels the need to hide a cache.

I am probably the worst one here in the valley at playing the numbers game but I just have this need to go after any new cache. And I will go after all caches I can. I don't like all the caches I find. Some are as Cody stated nothing more than "it counts as a find". Some people have wondered how I am able to find so many caches. First I have been out of work but beyond that when I can find 14 caches in 4 and 1/2 hours they are just too easy and/or too close together.

As I am leaving the area I will not have much influence on this area but I truly believe that more thought needs to be put into the placement of geocaches. I know there is that need to place a cache and a simple one near home for the first cache is probably acceptable. But later hides need to show more thought.

For the new cachers out there, wait awhile before you hide a cache to learn some of the tricks. This will make the game more enjoyable for everyone. Don't worry about a negative karma number. If you look closely the most driven cachers have the highest negative karma (with exceptions). It doesn't mean a thing. No one expects you to hide a lot of caches. They only want you to hide good caches.

Have I said to much?

Loran (Team Sand Dollar)