Re: [Az-Geocaching] Members Only Caches

+ (text/html)
Author: Scott Wood
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Members Only Caches
At 03:35 PM 8/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>because they were mailed to me.... and were not out right threating but
>were shall I say disturbing enough that I want to play it safe right
>now.....Scott you have not done any of my cache that I can remember but
>some are shall I say very close to home..... and I like I said before I
>want to play it safe

Actually I have done some of your caches. A couple of the virtuals as well
as the Sacaton North.

Would you please share some of these "disturbing" messages with us? You
don't have to provide any names or e-mail addresses. If there are actually
people sending messages that are threatening caches, then I may change my
mind about converting caches to MO, but until someone can show me that
there is a threat out there, I just can't support the notion that a cache
is somehow in danger just because there was some negative press. At least
not in any more danger than a cache simply being plundered, as many have been.

Another question that no one has answered yet is why does turning them to
member's only protect them? It literally takes just a few minutes to send
a paypal payment to groundspeak and then you are a charter member and have
access to the cache coordinates. If a person, or group of people were
intent on stealing or trashing a cache, they would have very little trouble
doing so unless you went out and just removed them yourself.

I promise everyone that this will be my last message on this subject, and I
mean no offense, we tend to agree on many issues, but I feel that this is a
knee jerk reaction to a perceived problem, and will just lead to further
knee jerk reactions to other perceived problems. I don't think we can
seriously believe that this is the last bad press that geocaching will ever
get, and if we decide that we have to somehow try to hide our caches each
and every time bad press happens, this will cease being a fun game in very
quick order.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache