Re: [Az-Geocaching] Colorado Fire

+ (text/html)
Author: Fred Coe
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Colorado Fire
MessageHowdy,

Actually its more common than you may think.

Last year about this time, in San Diego County, a Forest Service seasonal firefighter (who was also a Captain for a local volunteer department) was caught after setting several small fires. Almost every year I read the e-mail at work about someone somewhere who was arrested for intentionally setting a fire. They're arsonists. They do it for a bunch of reasons, and often it is simple greed. Sometimes it's for excitment. For whatever reason, I think they're a little sick.

In the case in Colorado, it was a dumb, stupid mistake. But so is tossing a burning cigerette out the window whilst driving through the forest.

Most of my co-workers feel they should throw the book at her--which it sounds pretty much what is happening. The 'Office Slugs' (workers that never go to the field and don't want to -- why work for the Forest Service if you don't want to go to the woods?) feel she is getting the shaft. My feelings? She'll be convicted (or plea bargin), be fined (probably a really big amount that'll never be paid), probably sentenced to 'time served', probation, and never work for another natural resources management agency again. Again, this wasn't arson (lock those people up, and throw away the key).

On sadder news,

The air tanker that crashed in California this afternoon, killing the crew, was here in Tucson a couple of weeks ago making drops on the Bullock Fire.

--Fred
Team Boulder Creek
CNF Radio System Manager