Re: [Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned…

Author: Scott Wood
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?
At 02:11 PM 5/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>In both cases it could be a long time before the areas were the same as they
>were before the fire. That is not to say they will be ugly or barren, but
>they will be different. Depending on what kind of vegetation burned,

We used to run into this when I was fighting fire. Environmentalists would
be pissed that trees burnt during a fire, even lightning started fires, and
would say how that part of land was ruined forever. Nothing could be
further from the truth. Normally within a year grass would be growning and
the deer and elk would have a new food source. Within just a couple years
saplings would be growing. The thing that most people forget about nature
is that everything is a cycle. When you get right down to it, there is no
such thing as virgin timber.

>At the next AZ Geocaching Get-together (that I can get to!), I'll try to
>remember to bring my fire pack and some typical hand tools (seems like there
>is quite a bit of interest on this list). As I type this, we have a 10%

I still have my pulaski. :-)

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache