Re: [Az-Geocaching] Re: [Az-Geocaching]

+ (text/html)
Author: Trisha Radley
To: az-geocaching
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Re: [Az-Geocaching]
No caches for me....I'm running communications for the checkpoints for the annual Man vs. Horse endurance race....our Jeep Posse staffs the 11 checkpoints and provides comm every year. If you've never heard of this race, it's amazing! People race riders/horses over a 50 (yup...FIFTY) mile course, up and back over Mingus Mtn. (It starts on the Prescott Valley side and they race up and over to the Cottonwood side, then back up and over again.) The only thing that makes it possible for a person to beat the horses is that the horses/riders have 3 mandatory vet-checkpoint/rest stops for 30 minutes each or until the horse's heartbeat goes back down to a certain point. (It seems horses will literally run themselves to death if a rider isn't smart.) Also, some places are so steep (up and down) that the rider has to dismount and walk the horse.
For the past three years, a MAN has actually beaten the horses! A Hopi man runs the 50 miles in just a smidge over 7 hours!!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw him cross the finish (last year) and he barely looked like he'd jogged around the block! (That's maintaining an average of over 7 miles/hour, with elevation change....running just under 8 1/2 minute miles for 50 miles! It's awesome) He was 30 minutes ahead of the first 2 horses (Arabians, with women riders....( and 2 hours ahead of the next person (the first woman came in fourth)
This is my favorite event to do for the Posse (besides our actual search related activities).
Anyway....didn't mean to go on and on like that, but I thought someone might find it interesting. Anyone heard of this race? It's the 18th annual.....quite famous amongst endurance race folks.
Hope everybody had a great weekend...stay dry!

~~trisha ~~ Lightning~~

Oh....3 day weekend? Im having surgery on my other hand Monday. Bummer!