[Az-Geocaching] [Fwd: AzGeocaching: Geocaching locations]

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 21:49:37 CDT 2009

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreation/geocache.html

BLM's Geocaching Game Rules

   - Identify proposed cache locations to the local BLM office before
   placing a cache
   - Do not place caches at archaeological sites
   - Obtain a BLM permit for any competitive events, contests for prizes,
   paid participation, or caches hosted by commercial business
   - Advise BLM if you observe any misuse or abuse of a cache location

There's no Excuse for Abuse!

Please help us protect our public lands by contacting the local BLM office
if you observe or become aware of the following at a cache location:

   - Graffiti
   - Digging
   - Trash
   - Illegal off-road vehicle use
   - Vandalism
   - Suspicious behavior, substances, or objects
   - Commercial use or sponsorship

Geocaching is a 21st Century treasure hunting adventure game played by
global positioning system (GPS) users while enjoying freedom of access to
the Public Lands. BLM welcomes this activity in the right locations on the
Public lands if conducted with minimal impact to the environment and
conscientious land use ethics are followed.

Geocaching is related to orienteering (where participants find their way
with a compass) except it takes advantage of a GPS unit's capabilities. The
locations of physical and virtual caches all over the world are shared on
the Internet. Visitors use location coordinates to find caches, then are
faced with a variety of rewards. The visitor may be expected to leave or
replace items in the cache, deliver items to another cache, or take a
self-portrait to upload to an Internet virtual album. The cache may be a
small waterproof box or simply an unmistakable landmark to include in the
portrait.

Geocaching may become a management concern for BLM if it jeopardizes public
health and safety, causes environmental damage, or conflicts with other
authorized uses.

You can avoid concern about establishing a cache by contacting the local BLM
office to identify the intended location and request authorization. BLM will
be happy to check that the proposed cache location:

   - Is not near a known archaeological site
   - Will not interfere with threatened or endangered species habitat
   - Will not conflict with other land uses
   - Is not hazardous
   - Requires no other special considerations