[Az-Geocaching] mobile APRS system

Chris Ruggiero cruggiero at mac.com
Thu Jan 25 13:16:25 MST 2007

Now that is the problem. Cost.

I personally use a Kenwood TMD-700A in my car, but it was over $500
just for the radio, and another $50 for the parts to build the cable
to connect my gps to the radio (although now they can be had on ebay
for $20 premade)

what exactly are you looking for as a portable unit?  you said you
need your radio for use as a radio not a beacon, the vx-7r is a tri
bander if i recall, but having cabled hanging all over would be a
hassle. maybe you can still find a used pockettracker, or i just
looked at byonics website and they have a NEW product a MikroTrak300
that may fit your need, that is if you can solder or know someone who
can, its a kit.

i've been wanting a th-d7ag for some time now to replace my aging
Kenwood TH-79a, they are very nice radio's but i cant even spare the
$325 sale price right now!

good luck finding what you need.

Chris - Nero