[Az-Geocaching] decrypted hints

Lisa G. lisasjunk at buppas.com
Wed Jan 24 12:26:20 MST 2007

For me, personally, I don't mind it as much if I can't find the cache.
In fact, the harder it was to get to, the less I mind because it
generally means I received more benefit in the hike/drive/climb/whatever.

That said, I typically cache with my kids (age 4 and almost-6).  Because
of this, I don't do any of the really difficult caches, but I have done
some longish hikes.  I've tried from early on to teach them to enjoy the
scenery, the time together, etc.  I make a point of enjoying the whole
trip, and not just focusing on "we're going to find 'treasure'" (as they
call it).  They are still disappointed if we can't find the cache, of
course, so it would be nice to at least have a decent idea if we should
keep looking or if the cache is just gone.  However,  I went into this
with the understanding that no matter what I think is ideal, the only
thing I can control is my approach and reaction to things, and I'm
trying to pass that on to my kids as well (for life in general, not just
with respect to geocaching!).

That said, I realize not everyone caches with kids, and not every cache
is placed with kids in mind (and some don't even want kids, because of
the tendency to degenerate into a McCache, although we do make a point
of trading out what we feel are similarly valued items).  Also, I don't
know that I've ever been unable to find a rural cache (keeping in mind
that I've only done mid-level difficulty ones because of the kids),
although I have spent a great deal of time finding some (including some
attempted drives through the forest when I was learning my GPS and
didn't realize that it had reverted to the base map and no longer had a
road to follow!! <blush>).  It's the urban ones I have more trouble
with.  And the urban ones are more disappointing to DNF, since often the
destination isn't particularly spectacular, and the main goal really is
to find the cache itself.

-Lisa "PoledraDog"